The State of Project Management 2017 Annual Report is now available. This is the largest published research of its kind in the UK with nearly 400 organisations taking part.
Published by Wellingtone in cooperation with the Association for Project Management (APM) Project Management Office (PMO) Specific Interest Group (SIG) it provides a fantastic insight into the state of project management in the UK.
Although a number of non-salary focused project management surveys are published each year they tend to be either very US-centric or global in perspective. Our UK project management industry is highly developed and deserves special attention.
We invited colleagues from across our project management industry to participate, and they did, in their hundreds so thank you to all those that participated.
The State of Project Management survey asks questions across a number of important topics including; project management maturity, tools & techniques, project success rates and of course PMO maturity.
Although the report highlights the great successes achieved by some it clearly shows there is much work to be done! Some key highlights include:
The Future of the PMO
- 85% of organisations have a PMO (up from 71% in 2016)
- Only 52% however have a PMO strategy
- Only 33% tend or totally agree the PMO remit and objectives are clear
- Although only 36% predict an increase in future PMO resources, 54% predict an increase in scope & responsibilities
Project Management Maturity
- 55% of PMs create a scoping document during the planning stage always or most of the time
- 66% of project schedules are baselined
- 50% of participants are somewhat or very dissatisfied with the current level of PM maturity in their organisation
- 37% always or mostly complete projects on time
- 35% always or mostly deliver full benefits
- 42% always or mostly complete on budget
Biggest Project Management Challenges
- Poorly trained Project Managers
- Attempting to run too many projects
- Lack of senior management support
- Poor resource management
- Poorly trained project sponsors
Almost every organisation can benefit from improving their project management maturity. Many organisations do not benefit from best practice project management tool and techniques as championed by Wellingtone Project Management and the APM.
We hope this report provides the catalyst for you to consider how you can increase your project successes and provides a wake-up call to tackle your biggest challenges.
Thank you to all those professionals who contributed to this important and invaluable research data.
Please do contact us with your thoughts on the survey and this report and please do share this report with your colleagues.